Monday, December 24, 2007

Hellenic Spirit

I've been unable to finish the afew ideas i have for articles to be posted. However, because i've been lacking in free time, i thought i might post an old poem i've written for those who do read my blog. So here it is Hellenic Spirit. I hope you like

Hear the words I need to speak
Through these thoughts you will begin to weep
Asking question like where, what, and why
Did little Maria from Anatolia have to die

Where was America that day?
When young women began to pray
Why weren't their screams heard?
As our cities began to burn
And Allied Ships Fled
What went on in Chrysostomos' Head?
As we were left to our fate, to be consumed by hate

Our rivers ran red
With terror and bloodshed
Leave all you've known
Bring only what one can hold
That is what we were told

So can you feel my pain?
As my tears fall like rain
With thoughts of Eastern Thrace
Long before the Turks came to massacre my race

The Hellenic Spirit lives on
Through Dance and through Song
In our hearts and our minds
Till the end of time

So I ask you little Hellene, do you remember the dreams
Of that Kritikos, O Venizelos
Liberation one day, are the words you should say
No longer will Pontians be slain, as we begin the campaign
So that our forefathers did not die in vain

Constantinpoli was once its name
Hagia Sofia waits to be reclaimed
So we must lift up our swords
And beat back the Turkish Hordes
To reclaim our lost homes

The Hellenic Spirit Lives on
Through Dance and through song
In our hearts and our minds
Till the end of time