Monday, April 14, 2008

Thracian Flag Proposal





For some time now, I’ve played with the idea of Thraki adopting a flag of its own, much like Makedonia and Pontos have. However, most people tend to feel this is an act that would be misunderstood and seen as Thracians trying to pull away from Ellada. I myself do not believe this, plenty of other nations have flags for there regional subdivisions and there is nothing to fear by adopting a flag for Thraki. In fact I believe it could be a very useful tool in helping to stop Muslim discontent inside the region and a rallying tool for Thracians around the world in the Diaspora.

At the moment Thraki does not have an official flag in use, although to my knowledge there have been reports of a very simple image being used as the ‘Thrace district’ flag.



It is with this in mind that I’ve created the following proposal for an official Thracian flag. Although I am not a graphic artist, I’ve attempted to my best ability to recreate a general image of what such a flag would look like. Each and ever part of the flag holding, what I believe, is a special meaning for Thraki.

Description:

The Flags coloring of Blue and White were chose to symbolize Thracian Hellenism and our solitary with the National Flag of Ellada.

The use of a Tri-color division on each side of the flag was chosen for two reasons. First, because of the original design of the Tri-color flag for Eastern Rumelia, the first part of Thraki to gain independence from the Turks, even though it was annexed by the Slavic state of Bulgaria. The second reason lies with the blue strip down the center, which echoes to the Greek flag under Ottoman rule, which was Red with a blue stripe. This was chosen because Eastern Thraki is still under occupation and hence under Ottoman rule.

The center image comes from the city flag for Orestiada, with the image of St. George, which several Romanian scholars believe to be the Christianized image of the ancient Thracian Horseman, which was an important image and part of Thracian culture during the ancient times.
Finally the inscription, is ancient Thracian and stands for “(You) Land (Demethra) guard (protect, defend) me!”